To celebrate Singapore’s 52nd birthday, there will be many sporting activities across the island.
There’s something for everyone during this year’s GetActive! Singapore (GASG), which takes place from July 29 to August 9, 2017. GASG aims to attract all Singaporeans to celebrate National Day with a spectrum of sporting activities across the island.
Below are some of the activities:
• Supported by this year’s Active Enabler Programme (AEP), there will be over 50 public events to choose from including yoga, high-intensity workouts, outdoor adventure activities, and senior-friendly fitness workouts. The public can also participate in the record-breaking attempt to lift 52,000kg collectively in commemoration of Singapore’s 52nd birthday. Many of these events will take place at the Sports Festival locations.
• There will be a Superhero mass walk at Sports Hub and a functional fitness routine for seniors at the newly-opened Heartbeat@Bedok.
• The Bear Grylls (British adventurer) wannabes can also pick up new skills by learning adventure life hacks and the basics of camping outdoors.
• Modified sports events for those with disabilities will be held at the Inclusive Sports Festival at Our Tampines Hub on July 29 to 30.
• Across nine key locations, there will be Sports Festivals taking place over two weekends from July 29 to 30 and August 5 to 6. These locations include the Padang, Singapore Sports Hub, Sentosa Island, Our Tampines Hub, Toa Payoh HBD Hub atrium, and fields next to Punggol MRT, Tampines MRT, Jurong East MRT, Djitsun mall at Ang Mo Kio. The Sports Festival at the Padang will be held throughout the duration of GASG, with the GASG launch taking place at Car-Free Sunday SG on July 30.
• GASG will be celebrating 50 years of National Service (NS50) where we can all come together to play. Back again for the second season, clock at least 50,000 steps with the GetActive! Singapore Step Challenge from July 22 to August 9, 2017 and redeem a limited edition NS50 jerry can water bottle while stocks last. The person that clocks the most number of steps in their category will each win an Apple Watch. In celebration of NS50, national servicemen and their family and friends will receive complimentary access to ActiveSG swimming complexes and gyms from August 5 to 6 when they present their SAF/SPF/SCDF 11B or SAFRA/HomeTeamNS membership cards upon entry.
To find out more about GetActive! Singapore 2017, go to www.myactivesg.com/getactivesingapore.
(** PHOTO CREDIT: Sport Singapore)