New motor insurance policy for drivers aged over 65
Those insured pay a stagnant premium rate from age 65 to 75.
The Automobile Association of Singapore (AA) has partnered with Liberty Insurance Singapore and the Singapore Optometric Association (SOA) with service offerings that are targeted to senior drivers.
Plugging a gap
AA and Liberty Insurance have launched AA Senior Motor Plus, the first motor insurance policy designed for senior drivers in Singapore. The new policy is designed in response to the needs of these drivers who have increasingly faced challenges with high premium costs and even securing coverage when over 65 years of age. Under the policy, those insured will pay a stagnant premium rate from age 65 to 75, after which their policies will be reviewed based on factors such as driving experience, claims record and type of car driven.
The new AA Senior Motor Plus policy provides S$50,000 in personal accident benefits. Other benefits include:
- Five-percent premium discount for eligible policyholders with 30 or more years of driving experience, with 50 percent No-Claim Discount (NCD) and no claims in the last three years.
- Additional 10-percent premium discount for AA members.
- Free medical examination for driving licence by appointed medical provider network, and corporate discounts on medical services and supplies from the network.
- Complimentary transport to destination in the event the insured car is not roadworthy after a reported accident or breakdown.
- Free car inspection and corporate discounts on car maintenance service by appointed workshops.
- Preferential five-percent discount for Liberty’s SeniorCare and selected personal lines insurance products
- 24/7 access to Liberty Assistance Hotline (1800-LIBERTY) for roadside and claim assistance.
- Excess waiver of up to S$500 for policies with 50 percent NCD, or up to S$300 for 0 to 40 percent NCD, for the first claim if the insured car is repaired at Liberty’s preferred workshops.
To be eligible, the policyholder must be at least 65 years old with four or more years of driving experience and who has made no claims in the last three years.
Encouraging eye checks
Maintaining good eyesight also goes hand-in-hand with responsible driving to prevent accidents. The provision of free eye health checks by SOA for AA members addresses this concern directly by encouraging motorists to have regular eye checks, especially for drivers above 65 years old. Annual eye check-ups with a qualified optometrist or ophthalmologist to ensure that all aspects of their vision are functioning well is a message that AA and SOA strongly advocate.
|** From now till 30 April 2014, AA Singapore is also offering 65 percent off to one-year Ordinary Membership subscription or renewal fees, applicable to new or existing Ordinary Members who are aged 65 and above.|
(** PHOTO CREDIT: A car, emitea, stock.xchng)